This class is located at an acreage just north of the city. This acreage has horses. Dogs MUST be kept away from the horses and must not be livestock aggressive, human-aggressive/reactive or dog-aggressive/reactive for this class.
Please note that even though this class is outdoors, we will ask participants to bring masks as we may sometimes be in close contact.
Please note that Intro to Disc dog will focus A LOT on the human and a lot on throwing. Dogs will take 1-2 turns throughout the lesson, on a long-line for added safety. When it is not your dog’s turn, your dog must be in your vehicle, ideally crated. A crate beside the vehicle (covered) is fine too. You will not be allowed to tether your dog to your vehicle.
Have you ever wanted to try throwing a disc for your dog? Or maybe you throw disc in the backyard and are wondering how to become a better team? Maybe you’ve even thought about trying you hand at some disc competition. Regardless your interest, RHS introduces our first Intro to Disc course!
In this class we will:
- Get your dog interested in playing with a disc and bringing it back!
- Learn drive-building exercises: Take, Tug, Chase, Multi-Toy
- Learn to throw a roller -WELL
- Learn to throw air-throws -WELL
- Teach your dog a go-around
- Lots of throwing practice for the handler. Learn your end of the game!
Before attending, you should have:
- A dog that is eager to retrieve a toy (non-disc is fine)
- Ability to work off-leash or on a long-line near another dog/handler team (please note in this class, we will all start on long-line, as the space is unfenced. We need to know your dog will return reliably before going off leash)
- A minimum of two dog-safe discs to come to lessons with. Once registered, we’ll send you a list of options!
- A dog who can wait their turn in the car, as we’ll be alternating between working dogs and working handler disc-throwing drills. A crate for the car is ideal!
|Monday May 31, 2021||6:00 p.m. - 6:50 p.m.||Intro to Disc|
|Monday June 7, 2021||6:00 p.m. - 6:50 p.m.||Intro to Disc|
|Monday June 14, 2021||6:00 p.m. - 6:50 p.m.||Intro to Disc|
|Monday June 21, 2021||6:00 p.m. - 6:50 p.m.||Intro to Disc|
|Monday June 28, 2021||6:00 p.m. - 6:50 p.m.||Intro to Disc|